Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An Old Lady.

Hello.

"The true essence of humankind is kindness. There are other qualities which come from education or knowledge, but it is essential, if one wishes to be a genuine human being and impart satisfying meaning to one's existence, to have a good heart."
Tenzin Gyatso.

 I have a story i want to share that keeps me wondering. This is a story about humankind. I went to a place where mostly people staying there most probably someone that woke up early in the morning and work hard till noon just to eat once a day. I went there on one afternoon to fix a leaking hose. As i sat there on a concrete bench while waiting for my part to be done. I saw an old lady who walked under a hot sun from a place that is quite far using a cane on one hand and a big box filled with collected stuffs mostly something that is old and unwanted thrown things by others in the other hand. As i saw her i felt pity for her. I saw her walk in a very slow pace using a cane and carrying that heavy big box.

Closer. As she came closer. I was asking myself where is she heading. I was thinking to myself saying that "would she mind if i help her?" or "would she be scared of me, thinking that i might steal her stuffs and tricked her?". Nobody around would want to help her.  The old lady who wears an old Tshirt with patches on it, and look dirty with her sweats on her makes people want to avoid giving a hand just to help her. There were several people there, who just won't bother to help her. Is it attitude? or afraid that you might get laugh at if you help her? Think about it.

Closer to the place where i sat down and there she is in front of me. She arranged her collectible stuffs at one corner because she might not be able to bring it to her house upstairs, i assumed. She placed it somewhere safe with her stuffs near to a place where i sat down. I guess that is where she usually place her stuffs before she went home for a rest of tiring work and long walking distance. As she finishes arranging her stuffs she wanted to go upstairs with some stuffs inside the box to take it with her. As she step on the first step to the stairs, i stopped her and told her that i would like carry her stuffs to her place. She was speechless and look me in the eye. I repeated myself, thinking that she might not hear me the first time. The second time i told her that she smiled and told me to help her carry it to the first floor and it would be nice. Without hesitation i help her carry that heavy box to the first floor. After i am done carrying it, i asked her, "Can you manage to climb up the stairs to your place? Do you need help?" She smile and thank me for helping her and told me that she can manage" She was holding a cane on her left hand and holding the stairs handles on the right hand. It took her around 6-10 seconds  for each steps.

After that i sat down at the same place i sat before. As i was sitting down, there is this guy sitting near me who saw me helped the old lady. He called his friend and told him that, "Fuyoh, that guy helped the old lady carry her stuff upstairs." in a sarcasm way. I look at that guy without knowing what is his intention of saying something in that manner. Oh my. He is troubled. Thinking that how someone could be so cold and so insensitive. I just smile and continue doing what i was doing.

The end. Hee. Not a good ending right? Don't worry about the ending, try to understand the message i am trying to share with you. :)

So, that is part of the story where i think it is a good thing to share because it is something i wanted others to know that it won't cost you money if you help an old lady carry her stuff or help her climb the stairs and also in any other situation possible. Be greatful of what you have and don't be rude to others.

4 comments:

sora. said...

I really like this post. :)
People these days can be really funny isn't it? How most of them think that being nice is some sort of like a disease or something.

aymansyarif said...

Thanks sora.
Yea, Most of actions is based on one's thoughts.

chantiquex said...

The guy that was making a loud statement about your gesture was just jealous of the fact that you went out of your way to help. He knows for a fact that he doesn't even have the slightest pinch of empathy that you have.

It is people like you who would notice if a person or a child is in trouble amongst a large percentage of ignorant crowd. It is people like you that will end up saving someone's life in the future.

aymansyarif said...

Chantiquex.

That was so nice of you to say something like that. Hee. ^_^

I just hope there would be more people in this world who would have empathy to others. :)